Wednesday, July 22, 2009

CARBOHYDRATE UTILIZATION

Carbohydrate Utilization

When carbohydrates are fermented by bacteria, they produce acidic products. A change in pH can be detected when fermentation of a given carbohydrate has occurred. Acids lower the pH of the medium which will cause the pH indicator of Phenol Red to turn Yellow. When bacteria does not ferment the carbohydrate, the media remains red. Sometimes during fermentation, gas is produced. The Durham tube will then have a gas bubble trapped within it. There are three carbohydrate tests that can be performed. They are the Glucose (Dextrose) test, Lactose Test and the Sucrose Test. In all of these tests, the bacteria will be inoculated to the medium using a transfer loop. The results obtained will be similar to that illustrated in the picture below. The left tube shows less acid formation than the far right tube, but gas is still produced in this case. The Centre tube shows no carbohydrate utilization as there is neither any acid or gas produced. The medium remains the same. The Right tube shows acid is produced as evidenced by the yellow colouration; and gas is produced (an air bubble is trapped in the Durham tube).

1 comment:

  1. I have being on blog Sites for a while now and today I felt like I should share my story because I was a victim too. I had HIV for 6 years and i never thought I would ever get a cure I had and this made it impossible for me to get married to the man I was supposed to get married to even after 2 years of relationship he broke up with me when he finds out I was HIV positive. So I got to know about Dr. Itua on Blog Site who treated someone and the person shared a story of how she got a cured and let her contact details, I contacted Dr. Itua and he actually confirmed it and I decided to give a try too and use his herbal medicine that was how my burden ended completely. My son will be 2 soon and I am grateful to God and thankful to his medicine too.Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Disease… Cancer, HIV, Herpes, Hepatitis B, Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid, Get Your Ex Back, If you have (A just reach him on drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or Whatsapp Number.+2348149277967)He can also advise you on how to handle some marital's issues. He's a good man.

    ReplyDelete